ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) offers the following definition about safety: “the state in which the possibility of harm to persons or of property damage is reduced to, and maintained at or below, an acceptable level through a continuing process of hazard identification and safety risk management.”
The airport has been certified and verified as an "operational airport" by AESA, Spanish Safety and Security Agency, as well as, by the DGAC and the Aragon Government. This certificate guarantees excellent levels of safety in the airport site.
The airport acts following the Safety Management System, SMS, which the aim to coordinate and verified safety procedures that govern in the airport.
Safety is based on:
- The definition of acceptable levels of safety as well as the indicators of the possible deviations for detecting those that may lead to degrade or loss of these levels.
- The notification, investigation and analysis of safety incidents, and the subsequent publication of the lessons learned from these incidents, in order to learn from past mistakes, applying the appropriate preventative or corrective measures to avoid them happening again. This part is basically reactive in nature, looking for solutions based on what has already happened.
- Risk detection, assessment and mitigation for the early location of possible threats to the Air Navigation System, and the application of barriers and mitigating measures to the system to make the risk level more tolerable. This part is basically proactive, trying to make sure there are no possible threats to the system, and if there are any, that their effect will be as slight as possible.
The pillars of the Airport safety are:
- The commitment of all employees to the safety management.
- Effective safety reporting.
- Continuous supervision.
- Investigation of safety occurrences
- Sharing safety lessons learned and best practices.
- Integrating safety training for operational staff.
- Effective implementation of standard operating procedures (SOP)
- Continuous improvement of the overall level of safety.
- In the area of the platform, are needed a series of basic standards for the safe development of the activity:
- Anyone who does business in the air area of the airport grounds, should behave so that he does not endanger or put to other, and he must not to obstruct traffic aircraft or other vehicles.
- It should drive with due care and necessary precaution to avoid any damage themselves or others, taking care not to endanger both the same driver and other occupants of the vehicle, to other users, aircraft, equipment and installations.
- It is strictly forbidden to drive negligently or recklessly.
- The companies and airport operator are responsible for training all employees and other personnel at your service in all matters relating to safety regulations.
In case of any temporary modification of the airport activity and its airspace registered in AIP, you shall be informed of the respective notifications through a NOTAM giving the necessary requirements .
NOTAMs are notices that give information concerning the establishment, condition or change in any facilities, services, procedures or aeronautical hazards which are essential to know before flight operations.